“The Power of Water:

Greensboro’s Life Blood Yesterday and Today”

Sunday, March 6th, 2 p.m. at Fellowship Hall

The brooks and rivers in town affected how the town was settled because the early residents needed
running water to power their mills.  

They were located in Greensboro Village, as well as in North Greensboro. In the early 1800s, Greensboro boasted three sawmills, two grist mills, one oat mill, one shingle mill, one carding machine, and one fulling mill (for the thickening, cleaning and shrinking of cloth).

Greensboro Bend began when mill owners lured the builders of the railroad to make a 'bend' in the route with a bond of $18,000 posted by the town of Greensboro and private citizens.  

A steam mill was built in 1869 near the intersection of Route 16 and North Greensboro Road, just after the contract for the new railroad had been let out. Steam mills could be powered by burning scrap lumber and operate year-round.




A panel will discuss recent water distribution the villages.

Where does it come from?

Where does it go?  



John Mackin and Nat Smith will tell about the Village System (Greensboro Fire District # 1) and Ernest Machia will speak about the Greensboro Bend System (Bend Fire District # 2). 

The Village system was recently reconstructed, as everyone remembers when the traffic was slowed during the past two years as new pipes were laid.John is Chair and Water Operator of the Prudential Committee of Greensboro Fire District # 1, and Nat Smith is Clerk of the Prudential Committee. Ernest Machia is Chairman of the Greensboro Bend Prudential Board of Fire Districk # 2 .